I'm not a big fan of "Chinese" food since the sauces are really high in sugar and the ingredients can be questionable. However, egg rolls are one of the very few items I do like because of the filling. I think its so flavorful yet so simple. Unfortunately, they aren't the healthiest menu item, but improvising is always a plus. That's why I decided to use the textures and flavors of an egg roll to re-create a "lo-mein" type dish. The final result was amazing!!
Paleo Lo Mein
- 3 T Almond Butter (Unsalted & Creamy)
- 4 T Wheat-Free Soy Sauce or Coconut Aminos
- 1 tsp Garlic-Chili Sauce
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Garlic (minced)
- 1/16 tsp Liquid Stevia or 2 T honey
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- small cabbage or half medium cabbage
- 1 pound meat of choice (I used chicken)
- 3 T Sesame Oil
- 1 T crushed red peppers
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced carrots
- 1 can oyster mushrooms
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 T sesame seeds
- Prepare sauce by mixing all ingredients in a small bowl. Make sure its well combined. Set aside.
- Prepare cabbage by slicing into thin strips.
- In a wok, heat half sesame oil. When oil is hot, add meat and cook until no longer pink or done to likeness. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Add rest of sesame oil to wok. When hot add crushed red pepper. Cook for 2 minutes or right before pepper starts to brown.
- Add sliced onions. Cook until slightly caramelized but still crisp. Add rest of vegetables except cabbage.
- Cook for about 5-8 minutes, until slightly tender. Add cabbage. Cook until transparent and tender.
- Add chicken or meat of choice back to wok. Mix well.
- Add sauce and mix in. Cook for 3-5 minutes until flavors are well combined.
- Garnish with scallions, sesame seeds and sliced almonds.
- Serve and enjoy!